I was looking around for some info for another post I was working on when I came across an article about multicultural versus unicultural – essentially bigotry. We live in a politically correct society today but, I wonder sometimes if it doesn’t mean that things have just been pushed farther beneath the surface. It’s something I always worry about within myself, the tendency towards close-mindedness or bigotry. I think these are easier habits for people to fall into than most of us would like to admit and in looking at one of the articles I came across this online Harvard study you can take:
Featured Task: Multicultural vs. Unicultural IAT
It is well known that people don’t always ‘speak their minds,’ and it is suspected that people don’t always ‘know their minds.’ Understanding such divergences is important to scientific psychology. This web site presents a method that demonstrates the conscious-unconscious divergences much more convincingly than has been possible with previous methods. This new method is called the Implicit Association Test, or IAT for short.
We will ask you (optionally) to report your attitudes toward or beliefs about these topics, and provide some general information about yourself. These demonstrations should be more valuable if you have also tried to describe your self-understanding of the characteristic that the IAT is designed to measure. Also, a variety of factors may influence your IAT performance. The score is provided for entertainment purposes only.
I was lucky I guess, because I scored okay but, I still think it’s something I need to be aware of and continually fight against. I’m not holding it out as a matter of me being better than anyone else because I’m far from it but, it does force you to confront some uneasy questions about yourself, check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment